Wednesday 6 December 2017

Oates, Joyce Carol "Big Mouth & Ugly Girl"


Oates, Joyce Carol "Big Mouth & Ugly Girl" - 2003


I don't think that I need to mention it again that JCO is one of my favourite authors.

This is about two young people at a school where someone has to stand up for what's happening. The story belongs to one of her youth books which are just as well written and interesting as her adult ones. But this is a particular good one for the youth, there is so much to learn. That the popular kids are not always the best kids to be friends with, for example. That in the end, it doesn't matter what you look like or what others think about you, it's your personality that counts and that you should be true to yourself and to others. The two kids in this book learn this the hard way.

A journey back to our teenage years. Oh, if we had known then what we know now ...

A beautiful story that confirms the old saying: "A friend in need is a friend indeed."

From the back cover:
"Matt Donaghy has always been a Big Mouth. But its never gotten him in trouble until the day Matt is accused of threatening to blow up Rocky River High School. Ursula Riggs has always been an Ugly Girl. A loner with fierce, staring eyes, Ursula has no time for petty high school stuff like friends and dating or at least that's what she tells herself. Ursula is content with minding her own business. And she doesn't even really know Matt Donaghy. But Ursula is the only person who knows what Matt really said that day and she is the only one who can help him. In her first novel for young adults, acclaimed author Joyce Carol Oates has created a provocative and unflinching story of friendship and family, and of loyalty and betrayal."

4 comments:

  1. I'd hate to be a teenager now what with Social Media and all, it was hard enough when I was young. I'm a big Joyce Carol Oates fan too, have never read any of YA books though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. But I think every generation has it's own problems and we just deal with what we are given.

      I'd recommend her YA books, they are just as great as her other ones. Not that I will ever be able to read everything she has ever written.

      It's about time she get the Nobel Prize for Literature!

      Delete
  2. So nice to find your review this morning! I read this book over a decade ago and it is still brilliant in my mind. There is no one like JCO! Here is my review: http://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2007/02/big-mouth-and-ugly-girl.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that. I will head over and read it.

      And I know we totally agree on it. There isn't anybody like JCO. She really should receive the next Nobel Prize for Literature!!!

      Delete