Tuesday 7 February 2017

Kostova, Elizabeth "The Swan Thieves"


Kostova, Elizabeth "The Swan Thieves" - 2010

I read Elizabeth Kostava's first book "The Historian" a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, when I came upon this novel, I had to read it.

Even though this book was totally different from her first one, I was not disappointed. Same as in her old book, she brings history into her novel, and art. One of my favourite eras in the history of art, French Impressionism.  BĂ©atrice de Clerval who features in the story, was not a real person but many painters mentioned were. Just listing their names feels like going through one of the great museums of Paris: Manet, Morisot, Monet, Sisley, Pissarro.

I did enjoy this novel just as much as her first one and am looking forward to her next which is announced to be published next year, "The Shadow Land".

From the back cover:
"Dr Andrew Marlowe has a perfectly ordered life, full of devotion to his work and the painting hobby he loves. This order is destroyed when renowned painter Robert Oliver attacks a canvas in the National Gallery and becomes his patient. 

As Oliver refuses to speak, Marlow's only clue is the beautiful, haunted woman Oliver paints obsessively, day after day. Who is she, and what strange hold does she have over this tormented genius? Desperate to help, Marlowe embarks on a journey that leads him into the lives of the women closest to Oliver and to a dark story at the heart of French Impressionism - a tragedy that ripples out to touch present-day lives.

Kostova's masterful new novel travels from American cities to the coast of Normandy; from the late nineteenth century to the late twentieth, from young love to last love. The Swan Thieves is a story of obsession, history's losses, and the power of art to preserve hope."

6 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, I love Impressionist paintings. I liked her first book except for the ending, it was a big let down for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I liked this ending a lot better. Hope you'll enjoy it if you try it one day.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete
  2. This one did not get many good reviews here in the US but I am with you. I enjoyed it immensely. It is so exciting that she has a new novel coming! It is supposed to be in the same Eastern European areas as The Historian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't often read reviews unless they are by some of the people I got to know, whether in real life or on the internet, I know why they like or dislike a book and can judge a lot better than if someeone totally unknown to me has written it, I never know why they said what they said.

      And I look forward to her new book, as well.

      Have a good weekend,
      Marianne

      Delete
  3. Yes, when I saw this was released, it piqued my interest because I was impressed with Kostova's writing (if an author can get me to finish a horror story, that's a good sign)! Maybe I'll put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read another one of her books, Davida, but that's more due to my huge TBR pile than no interest in her writing. I'm looking forward to your review, should you get to this one.

      Delete