Wednesday 4 May 2016

Grimm, Jacob und Wilhelm "Jorinda and Joringel"


Grimm, Jacob und Wilhelm "Jorinde und Joringel. Acht Märchen der Brüder Grimm" [German: Jorinda and Joringel. Eight Fairy Tales] - 1812

I used to love fairy tales when I was a child. We didn't have many books in the house, especially not children's books but we did have some fairy tale books.

A while ago, I found this little gem of a book with a few fairy tales in there, eight altogether. The title story "Jorinda and Joringel" used to be one of my favourite ones, a girl - Jorinda - is turned into a bird by a wicked witch and her lover - Jorindel - has to find a way to get her back. You can find the whole story here.

The other fairy tales included in this booklet are:

The Tailor in Heaven (Der Schneider im Himmel)

The Pack of Scoundrels (Das Lumpengesindel)

The Six Swans (Die sechs Schwäne)

The Goose-Girl (Die Gänsemagd)

The Story of a Clever Tailor (Vom klugen Schneiderlein)

The Star Talers (Die Sterntaler)

The Gifts of the Little People (Die Geschenke des kleinen Volkes)

I especially like "The Six Swans" and "The Goose-Girl" from this selection.

Find more translations of Grimm's Fairty Tales here.

Funnily, my love for fairy tales in my early years has not translated into a love for fantasy novels. Don't know why but that's just what it is.

3 comments:

  1. Have always been a fan of fairy tales and reread them from time to time. Also like retellings of fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have read The Goose-Girl somewhere. And I have a weakness for fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you both like fairy tales, as well. Always lovely to see that they have not completely disappeared. Any favourites?

    Have a great week,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete