Tuesday 21 July 2015

7 Books That Will Radically Shift Your Perspectives

One of my friends posted this list on Facebook the other day and thought it was highly interesting. I only read one of these books (Thus Spoke Zarathustra) and two of these authors (Nietzsche and Camus). I do agree that "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" is a great book that can get you thinking about everything and the one book I read by Albert Camus ("The Plague") was just as good. So, I take it this is a good list by "Higher Perspective".

Looking just at the introduction makes you want to read them all.

"Books have a way of capturing us that movies and documentaries simply cannot compare to. The worst thing you can do is limit yourself to reading only a few books. The best thing you can do is find out what you’re interested in and get out there and read up on the subject. You’ll find that your interests will grow along with your knowledge, to the point that you’ll discover the deliciously heavy weight of knowing that you know nothing. If you’re looking for books that will challenge you mind body and soul, and cause you to see the world in new ways, look no further than the following seven books (just kidding, look further)."

And here is the list I'd like to share with you:
1.) Nietzsche, Friedrich "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" (Also sprach Zarathustra)
2.) Becker, Ernest "The Denial of Death"
3.) Plotkin, Bill "Nature and the Human Soul"
4.) Carse, James P. "Finite and Infinite Games"
5.) Camus, Albert "The Rebel" (L'Homme révolté)
6.) Quinn, Daniel "Ishmael"
7.) Deutsch, David "The Fabric of Reality"

I would probably add two more:

Hesse, Hermann "Siddhartha: An Indian Poem" (Siddhartha)
Coelho, Paulo "The Alchemist: A Fable about Following Your Dream" (O Alquimista)

2 comments:

  1. The only one I've read is Ismael by Daniel Quinn and it was an incredibly interesting book, definitely one that will make you think.
    I've read The Stranger by Camus for a class I was taking in college and found it interesting, but didn't make me want to read any more by him. I'm not that deep a thinker.
    I took philosophy in college and was utterly blown away by it, but it made me realize that I'm not much of an intellectual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to take philosophy, I think I would have liked that. But then again, who knows.

      Anyway, I'm glad you read another one of the books than me, so I think it shows that this is a good list.

      Thanks for your contribution.

      Happy Reading,
      Marianne

      Delete