Thursday 29 January 2015

Dahl, Roald "The Best of Roald Dahl"

Dahl, Roald "The Best of Roald Dahl" - 1978

Before I knew that Roald Dahl was a children's writer, I knew him by his very "dark humour" short stories. They were published in Germany under the title "Kiss Kiss" and they made a few into a television series.

I have never been a huge fan of short stories but I absolutely loved these. My favourites would be "Lamb to the Slaughter" and "Parson's Pleasure". They are both hilarious!

If you are looking for some short stories, some in between reading, something funny that will make you laugh no matter what, this is the book for you.

These are all the titles included in this collection:
1. Madame Rosette
2. Man from the South
3. The Sound Machine
4. Taste
5. Dip in the Pool
6. Skin
7. Edward the Conqueror
8. Lamb to Slauhgter
9. Galloping Foxley
10. The Way Up to Heaven
11. Parson's Pleasure
12. The Landlady
13. William and Mary
14. Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat
15. Royal Jelly
16. Georgy Porgy
17. Genesis and Catastrophe
18. Pig
19. The Visitor
20. Claud's Dog
21. The Great Switcheroo
22. The Boy Who Talked with Animals
23. The Hitchhiker
24. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
25. The Bookseller

From the back cover:

"Twenty wickedly anarchic tales from the master of the unpredictable, chosen from his bestsellers Over to You, Someone Like You, Kiss Kiss and Switch Bitch. Stylish, outrageous and haunting, they explore the sinister side of the human psyche with unexpected outcomes.

There's the wife who serves up a murderous new dish to her husband, the gambler who collects little fingers from losers, the sound machine that can hear the grass scream and the night-time seduction that has macabre consequences, to name a few."

I have also read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by this author which is, of course, a children's book.

2 comments:

  1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory hooked me and I think I've read everything but the short stories, will look for them. Have you read Boy his autobiography?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,

      most people only know his children's books. When I started working in Brussels (many many decades ago), my British colleague was surprised I only knew his adult books. Funnily enough, she had worked for him before moving to Brussels and I later moved to the area he (and the colleague) came from.

      I have not read his autobiography. I think I should. Thank you.

      Have a nice weekend,
      Marianne

      Delete