Tuesday 1 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten "Gateway" Books

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

April 1: Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey (so your list could be a mix of a books that got you into reading, an author that got you into reading a genre you never thought you'd read, a book that brought you BACK into read)

South American Literature:
Allende, Isabel "The House of the Spirits" (La Casa de los Espíritus)
Bill Bryson's Travel Books:
Bryson, Bill "Notes from a Small Island"
Nobel Prize Authors:
Buck, Pearl S. "Peony"
Reading English Novels
Ingalls Wilder, Laura "Little House Books"
Turkish Literature:

Pamuk, Orhan "My Name is Red" (Benim Adim Kirmizi) 
Mystical Literature:
Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Shadow of the Wind" (La Sombra del Viento)
Alternate history:
Stroyar, J.N. "The Children's War" and "A Change of Regime"
Classic English Literature:
Trollope, Anthony "Barchester Chronicles
Books about the Holocaust:
Zweig, Stefanie "Nowhere in Africa" and "Somewhere in Germany"  

They are all great books, each and every one of them.

4 comments:

  1. Barchester Chronicles is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had planned on joining in this weeks top 10, but Paris got in the way :-)
    I also loved The Little House books when I was younger (what am I saying? I still love them now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list, I just finished the Pamuk book and it will definitely linger with me. Love Bill Bryson, read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books as an adult, read the Ken Follett books last year, enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind, read the Barchester Chronicles years ago, as well as most of Pearl Buck's books. I've never read Isabel Allende, but she's sort of been on my list for a while. You and I seem to have very similar taste in books, except I like fantasy novels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies, for your contributions.

    "Paris is always a good idea", Brona.

    I loved the "Barchester Chronicles". I read "The Warden" with my British book club and I was the only one who really liked it. I read all the books in the series in the years that followed and will certainly read them all again one day.

    "Little House", they were great books to read to sort of get into reading English literature although there was a lot of Americanism that I didn't understand at the time. I don't blame you for still liking them. They were great literature and I will revisit the "Little House" again, I am sure.

    Janet, great that you liked Orhan Pamuk. He has written a lot of other interesting books. We do seem to have a similar taste, there is always one exception. If you like fantasy, you will love Isabel Allende. Her books are more "Magic Realism" but I can see someone who likes fantasy liking that, too. I'd start with "The House of the Spirits" although my favourite is probably "The Island Beneath the Sea".

    Hope you all have a good reading week,
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete