Tuesday 18 February 2014

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want To Live In

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

January 28: Top Ten Worlds I'd Never Want To Live In OR (since some of you might not read stuff with different worlds) Top Ten Characters I'd NEVER Want To Trade Places With

I love reading dystopian novels but I certainly would not want to live in any of the places described there. Here are some of my favourite dystopian novels:

Atwood, Margaret "The Handmaid’s Tale" - 1985
Bradbury, Ray "Fahrenheit 451" - 1953
Huxley, Aldous "Brave New World" - 1931
Orwell, George "Nineteen Eighty-Four" - 1949
Pausewang, Gudrun "The Last Children" (Die letzten Kinder von Schewenborn oder … sieht so unsere Zukunft aus?) - 1983
Stroyar, J.N. "The Children's War" and "A Change of Regime

Then there are real life countries, past and presents where I wouldn't want to live:

Any place during the Nazi Regime:
Becker, Jurek "Jacob the Liar" (Jakob der Lügner) - 1969
Kertész, Imre "Fateless" or "Fatelessness" (Sorstalanság) - 1975
Wiesel, Elie "Night" (La Nuit/Un di Velt Hot Geshvign) - 1958

I think, today, one of the countries I would not wish to live in today would be North Korea:
Johnson, Adam "The Orphan Master's Son" - 2012

Remark:
I posted this originally on January 28 but somehow this blog entry disappeared. I have no idea how, maybe I deleted it by mistake (good thing I keep a copy). I apologize to anyone who was following this particular entry.

2 comments:

  1. May I add to your list of worlds one wouldn't want to live in:
    Never Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro This book absolutely haunted me
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet,

      I am sure you were the person who answered this because I remember you mentioning "Never Let Me Go". I have not read it but know about the story. It is on my wishlist, so one day I will probably write about it.

      Thank you again for your contribution.

      Marianne

      Delete