Tuesday 8 October 2013

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Top Ten Best/Worst Series Enders

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

October 8: Top Ten Best/Worst Series Enders 

I am in quite a conundrum with this one since I don't read many series. The genre and type of books I read does not offer many sequels. Therefore I will just add a list of series I did read. And I managed just ten.

Alcott, Louisa May "Little Women" Series 
Allende, Isabel "The House of the Spirits" (La Casa de los Espíritus), "Daughter of Fortune" (Hija de la Fortuna), "Portrait in Sepia" (Retrato en Sepia)
Bristow, Gwen "Plantation Trilogy"
Denuzière, Maurice "Louisiana. Trilogy" (Louisiane. Trilogie)
Follett, Ken "The Pillars of the Earth", "World Without End"
Ghosh, Amitav "Sea of Poppies", "River of Smoke", "Flood of Fire" (Ibis Trilogy)
Ingalls Wilder, Laura "Little House Books"
MacLachlan, Patricia "Sarah, Plain & Tall" Series
Scott, Mary "Susan and Larry Series"
Turner, Nancy E. "These is my Words, The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine", "Sarah’s Quilt", "The Star Garden"

4 comments:

  1. House of Spirits is one of the best standalones I've ever read and the movie wasn't bad too. Allende is a great writer, her novels are very maternal and very touching.

    My Best & Worst

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love her, as well. And yes, you can read "House of the Spirits" on its own, ever the follow-ups can be read without knowing any of the others since they talk about different generations. Which other novels of her have you read?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read many series. I actually don’t like the feeling of being obligated to read the next book. If I don’t go on to the next book, I feel like I’ve left things hanging in the air—like I’m a quitter. For the most part, I avoid series—with a few exceptions including “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins and “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” series by Stieg Larsson. I have read "Little Women" and loved it, but never ventured on to "Little Men," or "Jo's Boys." Likewise, I have read and truly enjoyed "These Is My Words" but did not continue on with "Sarah's Quilt," or "The Star Garden." I'm sure they're very good; it’s just a matter of “too many books, too little time.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I have a similar feeling. However, if I really like a book, I don't mind reading the next one a while later. I just hate it if a book ends with a cliffhanger and you feel you have to read the next one. Especially if the next one isn't out, yet. I am sure you would enjoy the next Louisa May Alcott and/or Nancy Turner books but, yes, the time is a big problem.

      Delete