Monday 5 November 2012

Bradley, Alan "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie"


Bradley, Alan "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" (Flavia De Luce Mystery)  – 2009

England 1950. A little girl lives with her father and sisters in an English village. When a body turns up in their garden, she starts exploring.

I am not a big fan of crime stories. I am an even smaller fan of stories where little children are the big heroes by screwing up everything and then in the end everything is fine. I never really liked the "Famous Five" because of that when I was a child and I dislike these kind of stories even more now than I did then.

In any case, you can guess, I did not like the "Flavia De Luce Mystery" No. 1 very much, so I'm not going to even try reading any of the following ones. I can see how someone who likes these kind of stories likes this one, the surroundings are nice but I prefer to read about England and its countryside and village life through Jane Austen, Charles Dickens or, if you look for more contemporary authors, Bill Bryson has written wonderful books about Britain, for example, something more substantial.

From the back cover:

"England, 1950. At Buckshaw, the crumbling country seat of the de Luce family, very-nearly-eleven-year-old Flavia is plotting revenge on her older sisters. Then a dead bird is left on the doorstep, which has an extraordinary effect on Flavia's eccentric father, and a body is found in the garden. As the police descend on Buckshaw, Flavia decides to do some investigating of her own..."

No comments:

Post a Comment