Wednesday 15 February 2012

Pears, Tim "In a Land of Plenty"


Pears, Tim "In a Land of Plenty" - 1977

Somehow, I had imagined something else from this book. I thought it was going to tell about the life of a family after WWII. And it was. But not the way I expected it. Charles Freeman is a very selfish opportunist who looks at anything with money in his mind. Needless to say, he is rather a dictator than a family father or nice boss.

Nevertheless, I thought this book was interesting, mainly because the children were about my age and I always like to read about other people's lives in different circumstances.

From the back cover:

"Set in a small town in the middle of England in the aftermath of World War II, this tells the story of ambitious industrialist Charles Freeman, his wife Mary, and their three children. Each individual plays their part as Britain claws its way from the grey austerity of the war years."

No comments:

Post a Comment